Back to School with Shelby Olivier, Program Manager
With the back to school season in full swing, we know students have their days scheduled to a T. The event and meeting planning industry is pretty similar. It’s easy for us to look at the clock and think, “Where did the time go?” When you’re working hard and playing hard, the hours can go by really fast. Because our day-to-day schedules sometimes seem to be divvied up like school days, we thought it’d be fun to write them out and share them with the world.
First up is Shelby Olivier, program manager and event planner extraordinaire. Here’s what an average day is like for Shelby:
- 8:00 AM: Check e-mails, review appointments for the day, and get coffee, of course!
- 9:00 AM: Weekly team meeting. This is one of the few times we all make it into one room all at once, so we make the most of it.
- 10:00 AM: Programs Team meeting. We really appreciate this time to touch base on upcoming programs and support each other as a team. It would be easy to lose touch since we’re all working so much.
- 10:30 AM: Check e-mails again.
- 11:00 AM: Update the Master Document with budget updates, vendor confirmations, and more.
- 12:00 PM: Update an event floor plan. The furniture layout has to make sense with emergency exits, foot traffic flow, and lines of vision.
- 12:30 PM: Lunch!
- 1:15 PM: Conference call with clients and event partners. We can’t always be in the same place (or even the same state!) so these are crucial.
- 2:00 PM: Creative brainstorm with the team. If I’m stuck on something for an event, I know I can use them as a resource.
- 2:45 PM: Work with creative designer on custom design mock-ups for our client. It’s so exciting to see your work come to life!
- 3:30 PM: Site visit. It’s so important to see a space in order to get a real feel for what kind of work you’ll need to put into transforming it.
- 5:00 PM: Come home, grab my headphones and my dog Blue, and go for a run through my neighborhood. Workout playlist: the Lumineers, Family and Friends, and Passenger.
- 6:00 PM: Stop by my garden to pick some fresh vegetables to use for dinner. Daydream about being the first gardener to grow organic queso.
- 6:30 PM: Cook dinner. Contemplate moving to France to become a chef.
- 6:45 PM: Set off the fire alarm. Reconsider France.
- 7:30 PM: Fold laundry while watching an episode of “The Bachelor.” The excitement and glamour of event planning never stops!
- 8:30 PM: Log on to my computer to check emails one more time for the day. Remember, the event industry never sleeps. You’d be surprised how much business is accomplished outside of the standard 8-5 hours.
- 9:00 PM: Get ready for bed, and try to read a bit if I have time.
- 10:00 PM: Fall asleep. What do I dream of? Fabulous events with tons of creative freedom. And hopefully the next day, the dream becomes a reality!