ZACH Theatre: A bright star in Austin’s arts scene, and a stunning setting for your next event
Red Velvet Events founder Cindy Lo recently attended a performance of “The King and I” at ZACH Theatre, in the lovely, state-of-the-art Topfer Theater at 202 South Lamar near downtown Austin.
The sumptuous music, elaborate costumes and strong cast made for a delightful evening.
“Topfer Theater is perfect. It’s so intimate,” Cindy said. “There is really no bad seat in the house. It’s a beautiful theater. If you have not seen live theater in a while, go do it! I was reminded of how simple a stage set can be, and yet it can transport you to a whole different world.”
“The King and I” featured an international cast and a supporting cast of local children. The Austin American Statesman’s review of the show said “The King and I” was a “playful visual feast that includes colorful costumes designed by Alison Heryer; dance choreography by Greg Zane after Jerome Robbins’ original choreography; a large ensemble, including 22 children spread over two casts; a host of beloved songs; and a touching story that brings cultural differences to the stage.”
ZACH Theatre is a producing theater. This means as a company they create each of their shows, from conception to design to performance. They employ more than 90 full-time and part-time staff members and work with more than 300 artists, designers, and technicians, most of whom live in the Austin and Central Texas area. Their artistry is truly a local effort.
ZACH Theatre has many exciting performances planned for the 2014-2015 season, including:
- A Christmas Carol: A Rockin’ New Musical: November 26 – December 28, 2014. Spectacular holiday carols and surprising time-bending classics whisk your family on a captivating ride with the three soulful, rockin’ ghosts in Scrooge’s transformative dream.
- Peter and the Star Catcher: January 28-March 1, 2015. This swashbuckling pirate story tells the story of what happened before a young orphan became the boy who never grew up—the boy we know as Peter Pan.
Order your ZACH Theatre tickets at www.zachtheatre.org.
Private event rentals
Located near Lady Bird Lake, the beautiful and modern spaces owned by ZACH Theatre are available for private events.
Their venues include:
- The Topfer Theatre: A stunning, 420-seat performance hall with a spacious lobby and bar.
- Serra Skyline Lounge and Terkel Terrace (located inside Topfer Theatre.) A 950-square-foot lounge and bar with attached outdoor terrace and amazing panoramic downtown views.
- People’s Plaza and Bobbi Pavilion: 6,400-square-foot space with a five-pole tent. This can accommodate a seated dinner of 420 people (the same number as capacity for Topfer Theater.)
- Whisenhunt Stage: 130-seat theater-in-the-round performance hall
- Whisenhunt Studio: 1,000-square-foot event space
- Kleberg Stage: 230-seat performance hall with lobby and patio access
- Nowlin Rehearsal Studio: 3,200 square foot event space
To plan an event at ZACH Theatre, contact RVE.
Photo courtesy of ZACH Theatre