Free Music in Austin
Austin is known far and wide as the Live Music Capital of the World. But you don’t always need to pay a cover charge to enjoy great music in this town – and you don’t always need to leave the kids at home, either!
Now that South By Southwest and the Pecan Street Festival have come and gone, Austinites are looking forward to another summer chock-full of free music events, including:
- KGSR’s Blues on the Green,
- KGSR’s Unplugged at the Grove,
- KUTX Live Music Series at Uncle Billy’s,
- And more!
Even though these events are free, you’ll need to do a little pre-planning in order to make the most of your outdoor musical adventures.
- Bring a little extra cash. Not all vendors accept credit cards, and ATMs can have long lines or sporadic service.
- Arrive early if you can in order to get a good spot near the stage and / or secure a parking space without too much trouble.
- If you’re going to an event at Zilker Park, bring chairs or a blanket to sit on.
- Always wear comfortable shoes, a hat, and lots of sunscreen. Also, bring a bottle of sunscreen with you for reapplication throughout the day.
- Check to see if the event allows you to bring your own water. Some events permit sealed bottles of water, while others have water bottle filling stations.
- As always, if you’re going to drink alcohol, have a designated driver in your group.
Have a great music-filled summer, and enjoy your shows!