Avoid Risky Business With Risk Management
On the surface, risk management may seem like one of the less exciting pre-planning steps of an event. But don’t be fooled. It’s one of the most important steps of the entire event planning process!
For an event professional, risk management means being prepared for anything and everything that could go wrong: from having a rain plan to obtaining permits to making sure someone on your staff is CPR certified. It’s essential to go above and beyond to ensure that all your guests will be safe, and that all your safety protocols have been triple checked. With all of our major full-service programs, we do a full risk management assessment during the pre-planning phase to ensure we are properly prepared for worst-case scenarios.
Below is a quick risk management checklist that includes the very basics:
- Have you filed / pulled all the required permits with your city and county?
- Have you hired the necessary security officers, for both daytime and overnight shifts?
- What are the protocols to follow, should one of your attendees: Gets sick? Has a heart attack? Needs to make a trip to the hospital?
- Do you have all of your attendees’ emergency contact information?
- If you are managing a public event, have you notified the right departments (fire, police, traffic, etcetera) about your event?
- Do you need on-site emergency personnel?
- Who on your staff is CPR certified?
- Do you know if the sprinklers work at your event space?
- Do you know where all the fire exits are, and the fastest route to lead the group out of the building?
As you can see, risk management involves a lot more than just having a first-aid kit handy – but make sure you add that to your list as well!
While some event mishaps are beyond anyone’s control (like rain), most can be avoided with careful and dedicated planning – which is one more reason you should consult with an event professional to make sure things go off without a hitch. Contact us today to learn how we can help take the burden of event risk management off your shoulders!